Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Playing tetris with my household goods

Why oh why do i not have any closets? What is up with this place? My wardrobe is a glorified pine box with a curtain rod and a shelf. It does me little good. And since we got our household good shipment, I am beginning to understand the saying, "less is better." We got our shipment last week, and I was excited to finally see everything. It's amazing how attached you become to your belongings and then when you don't have you're not quite sure what to do so you either do without or go buy more. I'm not sure what is better truthfully.Needless to say, since we got our shipment I am desperately trying to figure out where to put all this stuff.

As I said, we do not have a closet to spare. This is hard when you have things you'd rather store than leave out, i.e. coats, winter clothes vs summer clothes, towels and sheets. So in our bathroom we got a shelf that miraculously fits between the bathtub and the shower. The Italians do know how to make small cabinets, that I cannot argue with. We also put a large shelf up on the wall to store the excess towels. So once the towels and washcloths are stored properly, I had all this extra bathroom stuff. Under the sink storage is small and when 4 people are sharing a bathroom, storage becomes a necessity. We did get a nice tall, skinny cabinet that fits between the door and the sink and has 6 shelves. It's a great addition to the bathroom. I wonder why it was never installed in the first place! After getting the bathroom situated I moved onto the kitchen. Somehow, I managed to get all my kitchen stuff into the cabinets. I had to make really good use of my hutch and the drying rack in the cabinet, and I did have to get rid of a few items and store others on top of the cabinet, but hey, it fits. We commandeered a shelf my kid and made it a pantry. This is great for all the excess food items I insist on keeping. Then we got a small kitchen island cart. It helps to clear up the counter space and is another great storage piece. My dry sink stores all my cookbooks too. Once I figured out all the storage space in the kitchen, I was pleased with the outcome. Unfortunately that meant I had to move on to the rest of the house. The kids room are more difficult. Yes, we do have shelves for them but that have lots of little crap, I mean toys, that need homes. Under the bed storage has become a necessity. the stores here have great storage containers (fabric ones and ones that snap together) which are a godsend. They come in all shapes and sizes and some are small enough to slide under the bed. I like them, but I like closets too. I have found that with the kids' stuff, especially the little one, I need to be even more creative with storage. Thank goodness i love baskets and have several for little nick knacks and small Littlest pet Shop toys. (There are too many of those darn animals to count upstairs. I think they multiplied themselves or had babies of their own during the month long adventure they had coming over here.)

My bedroom is a bit more complicated because we just have too many clothes. I remember our first real house that had over 3000 sq ft and his & her walk in closets. Now I must cram all my stuff into a glorifed pine box and then some. My poor husband though, with all his uniforms and gear and then his civilian clothes, he is hurting for space. I managed to find some more storage containers for all the blankets and sheets, and my quilt rack has a real purpose other than looking pretty. We had to buy a dresser for my husband and the poor guy spent a good 5 hours assembling it. After a few hours of cursing, it looked great.

I am still playing tetris with the other items in the house trying to get the living room in order (wow I remember having two living rooms, and now I have one) and the items in the garage. We're waiting on storage shelves to be delivered right now but I think, oh heck, I pray it will all fit prior to me having to throwing anything else out. For now, we are semi-settled in our new house. In about another week we may get to the finishing touches part, the hanging of pictures and painting of walls, but it's a process, much like everything else in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment