Sunday, November 18, 2012

Outsider looking in...

Have you ever wondered what it is like to be an foreigner in another country? Sure you can travel and mingle with the locals, laugh at the fact that you can barely speak the language, make a fool of yourself and not worry about leaving a lasting impression, and make a few passing remarks about the strange country without ever immersing yourself into the culture. But what if everything you ever knew was no longer there? What if the comforts of home were gone and now you are the person in a foreign land, not just someone in your country who irritates you because they don't know the customs or mores, but because now the tables are turned, you notice just how that same foreigner you've made fun of a thousand times now feel? I have lived in the United States my whole life. I travelled once to Canada and once to Bermuda, where the people spoke my language, perhaps with a little accent, and wanted my money, so they made me feel good about being there. But now, here I am, this southern girl has landed in another country with no familiarities or comforts of home, bound and determined to make it in this country and assimiliate to the culture to the best of my ability. However, this comes with several challenges and now, after being here for 5 months, I see myself evolving, changing into a different person.

I see myself as an outsider looking into the country I once knew and loved. I still do love the US for everything it offers, but in the same regard, I am beginning to understand why and how the world thinks we are the most selfish and convenient oriented society there is. Let's take fast food or restaurants for example. Here, if you want to eat out, there are certain times of the day that can occur. Don't expect your favorite restaurant to be opened at 2pm because that's when you decided to take lunch. And don't expect to drive up to a drive thru and order your favorite chicken nuggets with waffle fries (and yes I miss Chick Fil A) because guess what, there aren't drive thrus here. We have one on post and then one near the mall, both Burger King,  but other than that, nope, they aren't here. Why? Essentially it is illegal to drink or eat while you are driving. Go figure! guess you can't say you missed the stop sign because you spilled ketchup in your lap. Admit that and you will get a fine. As for that restaurant at 2pm, let's just say, lunchtime is from 12-2, and after that, the place closes its doors until 7pm when it will open again for dinner, unless of course it's a Monday and then you better find a grocery store that is opened so you can get cooking. Most of the restaurants are closed on Mondays. so you see, eating out isn't convenient, it's a well planned, well timed meal choice you need to make, rather than an on the fly motion. I will say this though, once you get used to it, you admire the fact that the shopkeepers and chefs don't feel the need or pressure to remain open all day. Money is not the bottom line.

Another point i see is that America is the most accomodating place I've ever seen. If you don't like the shirt you purchased you can return it without any hassle and sometimes without a receipt. If you don't like the way something is done you can lobby to get it changed. If you don't like the fact that your favorite restaurant has decided to be closed on Sundays you can complain to everyone who will listen and then, opt to head to another place. If you forget something you need, let's say sugar for that late night snack you plan on baking, you can run down to the corner Walmart, open 24 hours or the big chain store open 24 hours and grab that item. But here now, Italy is set in their ways. If you don't like something, tough. If you don't like the fact that the stores are closed for reposo every day from 1145-330, get over it. It happens. If you plan on buying something, you better really like and now that it will fit, otherwise, you better find someone else to give it to. Returns are frowned upon here. And do not, under any circumstances, TOUCH anything. Do not touch the fruit with your bare hands, use a glove. Do not touch the fabric of the dress in a little boutique, because you know we Americans LOVE to feel and touch everything, or you will get thrown out or fined. Don't expect your Italian dryer to handle those American made towels or to even dry them with actual heat. Line drying is the way to go. Garbage disposals, non existent. Instead, you get to sort the trash, everyday. Lastly, do not expect your favorite restauarnt to accomodate you at 2pm, no they are closing up and heading home. And do not expect to find your corner grocer open at 10pm at night, they closed 3 hours prior. In Italy, they are set in their ways. It's not a bad thing really. You have to admire a group of people who understand the needs of their culture and just give their culture what they want. It's a sense of peacefulness I have never had nor understood.

Another thing about Italy I admire is the simple laid back way of life here. Italians walk, every day, rain or shine. I see them at 0530 with their umbrellas, walking in the rain. I see them at 10pm at night, walking off their dinner. I see them walking to the town center or riding their bikes, everywhere because this is what Italians do. They are an active people, and i love that. I love seeing the older couples out on nature hikes with their walking sticks. I love seeing families out for a nighttime stroll, enjoying some gelato.I love that the Italians don't think twice about riding their bike to the store, even though they could take their car. They aren't bound to the car like we are in the states, and I think it's great.

Sure, Italy has it's quirks, like the farmers that are out early in the morning or late in the afternoon, walking in the fields with their dog, and shooting at the pigeons so they can make a mean pigeon pie for dinner. But if you think about it, we all have our quirks, America too. So the next time you find yourself in another country, living day in and day out with the locals, yearning for a little taste of home like your friendly Target or Walmart, try, just try to adjust to the life you've been given. Try to assimilate yourself, try to learn the language, try to soak in the culture. And when you're missing home, there's always the big red target on line if you really feel the need to shop. They ship, it's usually free, and you've saved yourself some gas in the process. I know now what it's like to be the outsider looking in and while at first it felt awkward, scary and daunting, once I got past all that, I think I might just like it here (but please don't tell my husband that quite yet).



2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?

    I look forward to hearing from you,

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure emily, what can i do for you?

    ReplyDelete